L P A

Notes of May 2018 LPA Meeting

Notes from the Meeting held on Tuesday 16 May 2017 at 7.30 pm at St. Philip’s, Offerton
Present:
Our Lady and the Apostles: Fr. Pat Munroe, Hazel Dove, Mary Varley
St. Ambrose’s: : Fr. Geoff O’Grady, Pauline Lloyd
St. Bernadette’s: Tina Cain
St. Joseph’s: Fr. Jim Matthews, Deacon Terry Simms, Christine Wells,
St. Peter’s: Fr. Peter Sharrocks, Julie Williams
St. Philip’s: David Smith, Val Savage
St. Vincent de Paul: Rowena Nield, Chris Grime
LPA Headteacher: Carole Hogan
Apologies:
LPA Catechist: Cecilia Allan
❖ Welcome
Fr. Peter welcomed everyone, and opened the meeting with prayer.
❖ Notes from the Last Meeting
These were agreed with the date being changed to ‘7 February’.
❖ Matters Arising
There were no matters arising.
❖ Summer Event
It was agreed that another LPA event apart from the New Year Mass was needed and that a Summer Social, possibly including a sports event would help raise the profile of the LPA and involve people who didn’t come to the New Year Mass or Marian Songs of Praise. This item would be on the Agenda for the Autumn and that meeting would also plan out the year including the New Year Mass, Marian Songs of Praise and a Summer event. A group of people from both the team and the parishes would be needed to organise such an event.
❖ Readers’ Training
The February session had gone very well and those who attended had found it very helpful. Pauline was happy to continue to run these sessions every two months. The next session would be on Sunday 21 May at 2 pm at St. Vincent’s. Fr. Peter would organise three Training Sessions for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion in June or July at St. Vincent’s.
❖ Lay Led Funerals
This session led by Maureen Knight and Maureen O’Brien from the Department of Pastoral Formation in Liverpool was well attended and proved both interesting and informative. This was something that would be needed in the very near future. It was agreed to ask Maureen Knight if she could help us set up some training in the Autumn for Funeral Ministers, initially to lead the Committal Services and to be involved in Bereavement Support.
Community of Mary the Mother of God
The parishes of Our Lady and the Apostles, St Ambrose, St. Bernadette, St. Joseph, St Peter, St. Philip and St Vincent de Paul
in Stockport
A Local Pastoral Area in the Diocese of Shrewsbury
❖ Review of Development of LPA
This morning led by Veronica Murphy from the Pastoral Formation Department in Liverpool was not well attended but was appreciated by those who did attend. This was the list of ‘next steps’ put forward by the small groups:
• Make the experience of Sunday Mass a priority
• Encourage more acceptance and support for lay led Liturgies
• More education about LPA and our Joint mission and the need to share resources and talents
• PPT rep from St. Philip’s to attend St. Peter’s PPT Meetings
• Strength to be a sanctuary
• Evangelise ourselves
• Foster and nurture the future generation
It was felt there was still a lack of understanding within the parishes in relation to what the Local Pastoral Area actually was or what it did.
❖ Adult Formation 2017 – 2018
Celia had suggested a three session course on Eucharist during Lent and it was agreed that this would be a good follow on to the sessions on Baptism and Reconciliation held previously especially as there would be a National Eucharistic Congress in Liverpool in September 2018.
❖ Social Action Group
Hazel reported that the joint activity last year had been Retrak and that some parishes were now supporting Retrak. This year’s joint activity had still to be decided. Parishes were asked to advertise St. Bernadette’s Quiz Night on 1 June, in aid of WINGS (World in Need). Details would be emailed to Parish Offices.
❖ National Eucharistic Congress
Fr. Pat had recently been to a meeting about the Congress which would take place on 7 – 9 September 2018 in Liverpool. The main day would be the Saturday and this would take place in the Echo Arena.Fr. Pat will send a PowerPoint out to all members of the Team. (attached)
❖ Marian Songs of Praise
This had been well attended and had been very enjoyable.
❖ Date and Venue of the Next Meeting
The next meeting would be on Tuesday 10 October at 7.30 pm at St. Vincent’s, Bramhall

Notes from the Meeting held on Tuesday 11 October 2016 at St. Peter’s, Hazel Grove
Present:
Our Lady and the Apostles: Fr. Pat Munroe, Hazel Dove, Mary Varley
St. Ambrose’s: Fr. Geoff O’Grady, Pauline Lloyd
St. Bernadette’s: Tina Cain
St. Joseph’s: Fr. Jim Matthews, Christine Wells,
St. Peter’s: Fr. Peter Sharrocks,
St. Philip’s: David Smith, Val Savage
St. Vincent de Paul: Rowena Nield,
LPA Catechist: Cecilia Allan
LPA Headteacher: Carole Hogan
Apologies:
St. Peter’s: Julie Williams
St. Joseph’s: Deacon Terry Simms
St. Vincent de Paul: Philip Martin
 Welcome
Fr. Peter welcomed everyone and opened the meeting with prayer.
 Notes from the Last Meeting
These were agreed by all present.
 Matters Arising
The Gift Course being held at Our Lady’s was going very well. About 70 were attending, not only from the LPA, but from surrounding parishes too. Using the Church was successful and the small groups were going well.
 LPA Annual Mass – 2nd January 2017
 LPA Mass for the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God would be on Monday 2nd January 2017 at 12 Noon at Our Lady’s, as New Year’s Day falls on a Sunday: Presiding Priest: Fr. Jim Homily: Deacon Fr. Peter First Reading: St. Philip’s Second Reading: St. Ambrose
Bidding Prayers: One representative from each parish To compose: Fr. Peter Offertory: St. Bernadette’s, Our Lady’s, St. Peter’s (2 each) Eucharistic Ministers: St. Vincent’s & St. Peter’s (2 each) Welcomers: Our Lady’s Altar Servers: All servers welcome Music: Fr. Pat to ask Dave Fitton & Group Catering: Christine would ask Margaret Simms if she would order sandwiches again. Hazel would organise urns. Service Sheet: Our Lady’s Communion Usher: Fr. Peter would ask Bernard Sharrocks to organise this.
Community of Mary the Mother of God
The parishes of Our Lady and the Apostles, St Ambrose, St. Bernadette, St. Joseph, St Peter, St. Philip and St Vincent de Paul
in Stockport
A Local Pastoral Area in the Diocese of Shrewsbury
Parishes would be asked to put detailed arrangements for parking in their newsletters. Julie had asked that the Bidding Prayers be emailed to her in advance, so she could send them out to the parishes.
 Social Action Group
The notes of the two meetings held on 27 June and 30 August were distributed. The main aim of the group was to spread information around the LPA and to encourage people to get involved. The first Awareness Evening would be held on Thursday 13 October at 7.30 pm at St. Vincent’s when Sir Peter Fahy would be talking about his work as CEO of Retrak, a charity helping street children. Posters and information had been sent to all parishes.
Fr. Geoff reported on Davenport Methodist Church’s work in helping the homeless in Stockport by providing temporary accommodation. He would keep us informed.
 Adult Formation for 2016 – 2017
Cecilia and Rowena proposed that in Advent a series of three sessions would be held around the topic of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and these would culminate in a celebration of the Sacrament on 20 December. It was proposed that the three sessions would be held on Tuesday 29 November, Tuesday 6 December and Tuesday 13 December. The first session would look at how we had got to where we are today and would be led by Canon David Roberts, the second session would look at sin and the third session would look at Forgiveness and Reconciliation and would be a preparation for the Celebration of the Sacrament. (Since the meeting Fr. David Long has agreed to lead the third session) It was proposed to hold the sessions and the Service of Reconciliation at St. Vincent’s starting at 7.30 pm. This was agreed. It was proposed that Fr. David Marsden SCJ would be asked to lead the Reconciliation Service.
For the Spring Term, it was proposed that Maureen Knight, from the Archdiocese of Liverpool, would be asked to lead a Day on Lay Led Funerals. This was agreed.
For the Summer Term, Veronica Murphy, also from Liverpool, would be asked to come and lead a day on developing ways of working together in the LPA without Parishes losing their individual identities. Rowena would arrange a date with Veronica very soon, so Parish Pastoral Teams/Councils could be encouraged to come.
 Baptism Review Meeting
This would be held on Thursday 3 November at 7.30 pm at St Vincent’s, Bramhall. There wold be a chance to see how Teams are faring with the programme and time would be spent looking at the Home Visits and sharing Scripture with families.
 Reflection Mornings for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and Readers.
Margaret Lillis had asked if we could swap the Readers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion Reflection Mornings so that the Readers’ Morning would be in Advent and could include looking at Matthew’s Gospel. This was agreed so the Readers’ morning would be on 10 December from 10 am and the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion Morning would be on 4 March from 10 am. Hopefully, both mornings would finish with Mass at 12.30 pm.
It was also felt that there should be some training for new Readers and new Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and that this was something that could be done together. Pauline had already been thinking of doing some training for St. Ambrose and she agreed to extend it to the LPA. She would arrange some dates with Rowena and the training would be held at St. Vincent’s. Training for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion would be arranged for the New Year.
 Review Meeting for PPTs/PPCs
This would be postponed until the day in the summer Term with Veronica Murphy. (This had now been arranged for 13 May 2017
 Any Other Business
 Pauline would be moving from the LPA in the fairly near future and she reminded everyone that as she was the Vice-Chair of the LPA she would need a replacement.
 St. Joseph’s would be leading the Women’s World Day of Prayer in Stockport in March.
 The Cemetery Service had been provisionally arranged for Sunday 6 November at 3 pm at the Cypress Chapel.
 Date and Venue of the Next Meeting
The next meeting would be on Tuesday 7 February at 7.30 pm at Our Lady and the Apostles, Shaw Heath.